books Ive read this semester (so far)

  • The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
  • The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
  • Come In From The Cold by Marsha Qualey
  • Ten Cents A Dance by Christine Fletcher
  • Being by Kevin Brooks
  • A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • After by Amy Efaw
  • The Sweet Far Thing: book 3 of the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
  • Rebel Angels: book 2 of the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty: book 1 of the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
  • Copper Sun by Sharon M Draper
  • Leonardo's Shadow by Christopher Grey
  • The Apprentice's Masterpiece by Melanie Little
  • The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
  • Come In From The Cold by Marsha Qualey

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Gemma Doyle Series continued


I should really write down what I am thinking more often while I am reading. These books are very interesting and I just want to keep reading and find out what happens next. There are so many themes in this series. One is fantasy, another is women in 19th century society, and another is growing up, discovering one's self through friendships and crushes and other relationships especially towards authority figures. The main theme though, is power. Who has the power? Men? Yes they have had more power in history. In this book the women have had the power in their magical world yet the girls are still longing for such power of their own in our world. I predict that in the end the realms will be returned to the balance of both the good an evil tribes controlling equal magic. Right now I am a qaurter way throught the third book, The Sweet Far Thing and Gemma is the one who controls all the magic within her. She wants to help her friends before sharing the magic with all the people of the realms. I think it would be very difficult to control so much power for you wouldn't only be responsible for yourself but also for all the people affected by your choices. Gemma is having trouble controlling it herself and I think if she doesnt make alliances wih the realms now it could change what happiness she was trying to achieve by changing her friends' fates.
I wonder now if she will ever be with Kartik in the end. He was a boy that in the first novel was sent to warn her of the dangers of the realms by the Rakshana. The Rakshana are the ancient male protecters of the Order who have none of their own magic. In the third book he is no longer a part of Rakshana for helping Gemma but now he is leaving her. I hope he comes back at the end because you can totally tell she likes him.

1 comment:

  1. Sticky notes come in really handy when you need to track your thinking while reading a book. Come and see me if you need any! A very interesting theme of power and how the women have "magical power" in a fantasy world. What is the author alluding to? This series sounds fabulous and intriquing. I never used to enjoy reading fantasy but lately there have been quite a few YA fantasy novels that have caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete