books Ive read this semester (so far)

  • The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
  • The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
  • Come In From The Cold by Marsha Qualey
  • Ten Cents A Dance by Christine Fletcher
  • Being by Kevin Brooks
  • A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • After by Amy Efaw
  • The Sweet Far Thing: book 3 of the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
  • Rebel Angels: book 2 of the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty: book 1 of the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
  • Copper Sun by Sharon M Draper
  • Leonardo's Shadow by Christopher Grey
  • The Apprentice's Masterpiece by Melanie Little
  • The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory
  • Come In From The Cold by Marsha Qualey

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

book 1


Yesterday, we went to the city library and picked out our books. One of the books I borrowed is called The Apprentice’s Masterpiece. I chose to read this book first because it had such a nice cover and positive reviews. It is a story about the Spanish Inquisition in poetic format. I have read a book about this subject in grade nine that I enjoyed told from a girl’s perspective. The Apprentice’s Masterpiece is told by two boys. The writing is not about facts but about how the characters interpret what is happening. I have read part one and and I am not quite through part two. Part one is told from Ramon’s perspective. His family and he are known as conversos because they are of Jewish blood but have converted to Christianity in order to save their family line from extinction. Part two is about Ramon’s slave friend Amir, who is a Muslim without a family. The history of the time, the only part part of the book not made into a poem, is in the prologue. The king and queen of Spain were Catholic Christians and wanted all the lands of Spain to Be Christian. They sought to convert people to Christianity, but then the people who had converted were still persecuted for not being of pure blood. It is a sad story.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to hear more. Don't forget to include your own thoughts, connections, questions, and predictions.

    ReplyDelete